Question
Posted by: filly | 2004/01/05

Irregular Periods

I have been off the pill for the past 4 years and sine then I have not had any really heavy flows in my period, sometimes even spotting only for one or two days (browny colour). My period doesn't last for longer than 4 days. My last visit to the gynae (last year) I had cysts (nothing worrysome) and was given pills to take. Why has my period changed so?

Periods are different on and off the Pill. 4 days seems like a reasonable time for a period. Unless you are struggling to fall pregnant, there is probabnly no need to do anything about it now. You should have yearly check-ups with your gynaecologist if you have had cysts in the past. If you have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome on the other hand, you should be on the Pill.