Question
Posted by: landi | 2006/04/06

Irregular period after birth/contraception

Hi doc,

I gave birth on 31-01-2006 to my 2nd baby. On 14-03-2006 at my 6 week visit to the baby clinic I asked about contraception. I opted for the injection (Depo) on this same day. My period started on 27-03-2006 and up to today 6-04-2006 (11 days later) I still have a period. I am married. Never been on any contraceptive ever before. Is this normal? What medication can I take to stop the bleeding?

Regards.

It is normal to have irregular bleeding when starting Depo. I would suggest that you sit tight for a while longer. Taking any medication now will just mix up your cycle.

1
Posted by: sue | 2006/04/07

The injection can have lots of nasty side effects - excessive bleeding is one, very heavy priods, no periods at all, terrible cramping during your periods etc.
The pill has less side effects and is better for you long term.

Reply to sue