Question
Posted by: Muddled | 2005/12/01

Irregular cycle

Hi doc.

I have an irregular cycle, basically 2 months ago I had a 24 day cycle, then 1 month ago was a 26 day cycle and last month I had a 29 day cycle. As you can see quite irregular....

What I want to know is how do I pick up my more fertile days? I read on this site that you subtract 14 from how long your cycle is. But how do I do that if I don't know how long my cycle will be for that month? I hope that I am making sense!

Is there any medication that I can take to boost my chances (once I find out how to work out my fertile days)? What are the consequences of trying to fall pregnant with an irregular cycle?

Dear Muddled

I do apologise for the delayed response.

What you are referring to is not an unusual event i.e an irregular cycle dates. In this situation it is very difficult to exactly determine the days of ovultion.

What I have referred to on a different posting with regards to ovultion refers mainly to patients with a regular cycle albeit not a 28 day cycle.
In your case, the only method of ovulation monitoring would be to do prospective daily urine tests from approximately day 10 of your cycle. This can be accomplished by using the CLEARPLAN - (urine ovulation testing kit), which is quite sensitive to the Lh hormone spikes in your blood.

Other reliable means of ovulation monitoring would be by the use of Ultra sound scans on a routine basis to detect the growth of the follicle, and this would enable one to determine more precisely your ovulation day, and also allow, and if necssary, to promote ovulation by a single injection called a trigger injection.

The fact that the cycle is irregular does not necessarily imply that fertility will be a major crisis. It simply makes timing of ovulation a bit more difficult.

1
Posted by: confused | 2005/12/13

My cycles vary from 25-28 days.

We have been trying to conceive for 6 months now, but still nothing.

We have both been tested for any abnormalities, but all has come back normal.

I have been using the ovulation test kits as well as checking my cervical mucus.

Am I being paranoid after such a short time of trying as I have read that it can take normal healthy couples up to a year to conceive. To be honest I don't think I can wait that long.

What else can I do to increase my chances of conceiving?

Reply to confused