Question
Posted by: concerned_boyfriend | 2004/03/10

irregular cycle

I was wondering... My gf is irregular when it comes to her cycle. Sometimes its shorter, and then sometimes its longer. She never knows when its gonna happen! I say to her that she must go on the pill, but she says to me that the pill forces it! What can I say to her?

She should keep a record of her cycle and work out exactly how irregular it is. A few days either way is normal. If there is really a problem, she should first see a doctor before starting the Pill herself. It would be important to find out the cause of the irregularity. As you say, it could cause problems with fertility later if she is not ovulating.

4
Posted by: concerned_boyfriend | 2004/03/11

Thank you wendy... anyone else who can offer me some advice?? I really thought a lot more people would be able to help me out :-)

Reply to concerned_boyfriend
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/11

Irregular cycles aren't necessarily a problem, might make it difficult to pinpoint ovulation though so may just take slightly longer to fall pregnant than someone with a regular cycle. Only if her cycles are so irregular in otherwords 23 days one month then 40 the next, it may warrent her having it checked out to make sure ovulation is taking place but a few days different is quite normal, for instance if her cycles are between 28 and 32 days this would be fine.

Reply to Wendy

Thank you very much for your help! Seeing as we arent having sex, there is no problem of her falling pregnant. I was wondering if this could somehow effect her later on when she would like to fall pregnant? Anyone else who has some kind of oppinion or advice is welcome...

Reply to concerned_boyfriend
Posted by: Jill | 2004/03/10

I would say she is playing with fire especially if you are having unprotected sex. With an irregular cycle it is impossible to tell when ovulation is going to happen and therefore could get pregnant accidentally. The pill is a great contraceptive and her body will return to normal within a few months of stopping it should she wish to have a baby. You can tell her that on the pill she'll experience lighter and shorter periods and will know exactly when they will happen and can even skip them when it suits her ( there is no harm in this, I've done it many times ) and it also helps with period pains and skin problems. I was on the pill for about 5 years after the birth of my son ( I had irregular periods too and fell pregnant at 17! ) and fell pregnant again soon after stopping it. There are some very good low dose ones available, Loette 28 or Yasmin are both good choices.

Reply to Jill