Question
Posted by: sandy | 2004/01/06

IRREGULAR BOWL MOVEMENTS

Dear Doctor,

The past few months I've became aware of the fact that I do not have regular bowl movements. I pass a stool probably once or twice a week, but nothing more than that, unless I take medication or drink medicine for constipation.
I do exercise at least 4 to 5 times a week, try to eat as healthy as possible. My diet does include lots of fruits and vegetables, lots of water, chicken and fish, not lots of red meat, whole grain bread, etc. I eat regularly as well.
I do find my eating and exercising habits to be good and healthy, so I don't understand why I'm suffering from this.
And even if I do have a stool passing, it usually is difficult.
Will you please tell me what I should do to have regular bowl movements. How many times a day/week is healthy? If there is medication I would prefer taking something that is natural/herbal. Will you please help me?
Thank you.

Sandy, the best would probably be to first take something like Duphalac® to make your stools soft and then to slowly decrease the dosage. This is a good way of treating constipation as you won’t become dependant on laxatives and it can do no harm. Good luck.

1
Posted by: SPARKY | 2004/01/06

Hey there, Sandy

I have the same problem. I have been experiencing irregular bowl movements now for about a month. Did you try any supositries.. I used dulcolax.worked for a short while. But then I experienced the same problem last night. I also tend to feel weak and miserable.

I think you need to see your doctor.

Reply to SPARKY