Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/10/25

Iron tablets and mutivitamin - is it okay?

I discovered that I had anaemia about 2 months ago My Dr put me on some iron tablets that also caontain folic acid.

My gynae just confirmed that I'm about 5 and half weeks pregnany. He gave me a script for multivitamins and low-dose aspirin. I forgot to mention to him that I'm on iron tablets. I was wondering if I should continue to take my iron tablets and also take multivitamin and low dose aspirin or must put of them on hold. I'm worried that the total iron & folic acid from the 2 tablets might be too much.

Your multivitamin may contain iron and you may not need the extra iron tablets. Check the doses with your doctor.

1
Posted by: Rene | 2004/10/25

Call him or ask your pharmacist to be sure. My gynae only prescribed a multivitamin (contains iron) after 12 weeks when I was finished with the folic acid as the combination of the two tend to make you nauseous and constipated.

Hope this helps.
Rene

Reply to Rene