Question
Posted by: YellowBear | 2005/07/11

Iron tablets

Please can someone give me the name of an iron supplement that won't be too rough on my stomach and can be taken while pregnant.

Many thanks

Ferrous gluconate.

5
Posted by: CC1 | 2005/07/11

YellowBear, I am also anaemic and the chemist told me to buy a iron suppliment in a sachet, I can't remember the name but if you ask the chemist he will will know what it is. It is pure mineral water from the mountains of Scotland which are extremely rich in iron and is safe in pregnancy and does not cause nausea or constipation. I will try find out the correct name and let you know.

Reply to CC1
Posted by: Foxy | 2005/07/11

Pregamal is also a good iron supplement

Reply to Foxy
Posted by: NM | 2005/07/11

YellowBear

I am now in week 14 and my Gynae prescribed NIKIBON capsules for my anaemia! Not sure tho if u can get them without a prescription.

Rgds
NM

Reply to NM
Posted by: Smeddles | 2005/07/11

You can use Chela-Fer along with Chela-Preg. The Iron in Chela-Preg is in actual fact the same Iron in Chela-Fer. Just a multivitamin for Pregnant women contaning all the necessary goodies for when being pregnant. I am taking Chela-Preg at the moment even though I am not pregnant, along with Mumomega Pregnancy. All of these products are marketed by Arctic Healthcare. website is www arctichealth co za.

Reply to Smeddles
Posted by: Ann | 2005/07/11

Hi Goggie

I too Am aneamic ,i have been using Ferrous Forte ,It is chelated so its not harsh on your tummy at all ,it has been formulated for pregnancy ,i also use chela-preg that has a good dose of iron in .
the best about Ferrous Forte is that it doesnt make you constipated or bloated and costs about R30-R40 for a month -i got mine from a health shop but lots of chemists have it.

All the best
Ann

Reply to Ann