Posted by: Kitty | 2009/01/18

Iron Supplement

Hi Doc,

compliments of the season!!!

Yesterday I tried to donate blood, however my iron was too low. I have bought an iron suppliment and a vitamin B suppliment I' ve been eating a couple of table spoons of beans for a snack, but what else do you suggest I add to my diet to boost my iron? I' m also trying to lose weight but I' m starting very slowly- at the moment I am just drinking more water and going for a walk of about 10 minutes after work (too tired to do more at this stage) but I' m hoping once my iron picks up I can do more. So in that respect, what do you suggest I add/ take out of my diet? I don' t eat much junk food (chocolate/chips/ice cream) and I' m trying to eat more regularly but I work in a small office and it is being renovated so there' s no kitchen. What else can you suggest?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Kitty
Thank you for your good wishes. I too would like to wish you a wonderful 2009. If you are not vegetarian then you can eat red meat, liver, poultry, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified grains and breakfast cereals and dried fruit to boost your iron intake. First get your iron levels replenished before you start dieting strictly or doing strenuous exercise as you will feel too exhausted to sustain such exercise. It takes up to 3 months for depleted blood iron levels to return to normal, so continue with the supplements and eating iron-rich foods. When your iron levels are back to normal you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Hope you soon feel better and more energised.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.