Question
Posted by: Siths | 2007/03/07

Iron Shortage

SANBS recently visited my company and we were asked to donate blood. As a first time donor my iron levels were tested and my blood just floated right to float on the top. in that manner i was refused to donate. Which foods and supplement must i take for this deficiency. (so many iron supplements i see on the shelves) Help..!

Dear Siths
I would recommend that you ask your gp to test your blood to determine exactly how iron-deficient you are because if you are seriously iron-deficient (and it sounds likely) then you may need iron injections at the start of your treatment. Otherwise the dr will prescribe an iron and folic acid supplement such as FerroFolic which you will have to take for at least 3 months or more as it takes a long time to replenish exhausted body iron stores. Eat plenty of liver, red meat, fish, poultry and eggs, plus iron-fortified cereals and bread, and dried fruit to boost your iron intake. When you eat iron-fortified breakfast cereals have a glass of orange juice which is rich in vit C with breakfast as the vit C helps the body to absorb the iron.