Question
Posted by: TRISH | 2006/04/05

IRON OVERLOAD DISEASE

HI DOC,

I HAVE AN IRON OVERLOAD DISEASE. WHAT IS THE BEST DIET FOR THIS DISEASE. WHAT FOODS SHOULD I NOT TAKE?

Dear Trish
I surmise that you are being treated by your dr with so-called chelating medications to bind the excess iron and also give blood regularly? If not, please discuss these options with your treating dr. From a dietary point of view you need to reduce your intake of foods that are rich in iron such as liver and kidneys, red meat, all other meat, poultry, dried fruit, wholegrain cereals and grains, iron-fortified breads and cereals (nowadays most cereals and bread in SA is fortified with iron - check on the labels) and all mineral supplements that may contain iron.