Question
Posted by: Mich | 2008/02/04

Iron free foods

Please could you help with a list of foods that do not contain Iron as I have too much iron in my system.

Dear Mich
If you suffer from iron overload you need to avoid foods that are rich sources of readily available iron such as all meats, fish, egg yolk, wholegrain cereals and breakfast cereals and bread that are fortified with iron (check on the labels), dried fruit (esp raisins). This is a difficult diet to apply without developing deficiencies of other vital nutrients, so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with the application of this diet.