Question
Posted by: IRON | 2007/12/08

IRON DEFIENCY

I am a vegitarian (VEGAN) and am low on iron.
What foods can I eat that is high in iron?
What iron suppliment can I take that will not constipate me.

Dear Iron
If you are a vegan then it is difficult to obtain sufficient iron for your daily needs from the plant foods you eat because the iron in plant foods is bound up by chemicals such as phytates that make it unavailable for uptake by the body. You may find that eating dried fruit like raisins with their seeds (chew the seeds to obtain some iron from them) will help a bit. Otherwise take an iron and folic acid supplement like Ferro-folate. If you find that this or any other iron supplement makes you constipated (despite your high fibre intake from your vegan diet), please discuss this with the dr who is treating your iron deficiency because it may be necessary for him/her to prescribe a mild laxative, but not one that interferes with your iron uptake again.