Question
Posted by: Martin | 2005/11/18

Iron Deficiency

please, I would appreciate any info on correcting an iron deficiency what foods to eat and what not. Already had blood ttransfusion and intravenous iron replacement a year ago. just been told that i need iron replacement again. Please help

Dear Martin
I trust that you are being treated with an iron-folic acid supplement such as FerroFolic and that you will take this supplement for at least 3 months or longer as it takes time to replenish depleted iron stores in the body. The best sources of readily available iron in the diet are: liver (eat at least twice a week), red meat, poultry, fish, egg yolk, dried fruit and iron-enriched breakfast cereals (check on the labels). Take a source of vit C like orange juice with your breakfast cereals to improve the uptake of the iron.

1
Posted by: martin | 2005/11/21

Thank-you for your advice. Is it true that Caffeine in Coke and coffee can deplete iron reserves?

Reply to martin