Question
Posted by: CC | 2005/01/04

IRON DEFICIENCY

Hi Doc!

I have an iron deficiency and have been on iron supplements for the last year. The supplements that I have been taking either do not help or only help for a short time. My doc prescribed Ferrous Forte for 3 months and after a couple of months began to feel extremely tired, etc again, the doc then prescribed another supplement which I stopped as it didn't seem to be helping and made me feel bloated. I have also tried taking the Betaway Iron Extra which also does not help and also makes me feel bloated. I am getting really frustrated as I am permanently tired and lack energy and concentration. I would now like to fall pregnant and would like to know which supplements are safe.

Thanks for your time!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Response to iron supplements is generally seen within three weeks. If no improvement is evident your doc should review the diagnosis. You may have to combine your treatment with a B-complex containing B12 and folic acid. Ferrimed is a good iron supplement and worth a try (also available is Ferrimed DS which contains higher concentrations). Iron is generally considered safe in pregnancy, but discussing the use of a supplement with your doc/gynecologist is still advised.