Question
Posted by: dinky | 2003/02/02

iron deficiency

(previous message got lost - I think!)
I have a serious iron deficiency due to an operation I had 18 years ago when a large part of my stomach was removed. I now have insufficient intake of iron and receives 2 ampules of iron intra-venyl every 6 weeks. My doctor suggests a hystorectomy. Would it really make a difference? I don't mind the op if it would help as I am now 44 years old an do not intend ever having kids again!

Dinky, if you have a hysterectomy you won’t bleed every month and lose more iron. This will then decrease the need for the iron injections. They don’t need to remove your ovaries, so you won’t need to go on hormone replacement therapy. Good luck.