Question
Posted by: girlie | 2002/12/09

iron deficiency

Dear Doc,
Tell me if you have iron deficiency does that mean you are HIV positive
Another thing i burp a lot and its embarassing for me I did gastroscope, ultra sound of the upper abdomen and nothing was found, can you please tell me which tests I must do next and what is good to control burping and bloated stomach because I dont eat all those food you mentioned but I still have the problem.
Thank you in advance.

Dear Girlie
Having iron deficiency means that there is not enough iron in your blood which causes a condition called anaemia. Unless you have had a HIV-test and it has come back positive, indicating that you have HIV-antibodies in your blood, then you are not HIV-positive. To treat the iron deficiency, I trust that your dr has put you on a course of FeroFolic (an iron anf folic acid supplement), which you will need to take for at least 3 months as it takes a long time to replenish the iron stores of the body. Foods that are rich in iron include meat, liver, fish, egg yolk, fortified breakfast cereals and dried fruit. You also need plenty of vitamin C which is found in citrus fruits, pawpaw, strawberries, spanspek and Kiwi fruit. The bloating can also be due to lack of enzymes in the digestive tract, food allergy, irritable bowel syndrome, etc. Products like Ulsanic or Maalox help to prevent winds, but you should take them in between meals to prevent them interfering with iron absorption. I would return to the dr and ask for more tests, although the problem may improve if your anaemia clears up.

1
Posted by: girlie | 2002/12/11

Thank you can you give me the name of the tablets I need to buy over the counter to boost my enzymes because i have used all those pills you mentioned.

Reply to girlie