Question
Posted by: Jak. | 2008/01/07

Iron.

Hi Doc, Nice to have you back again, safe and sound.My question; Why do I need to keep replenishing iron if I dont lose blood? Thank you.

Dear Jak
Nice to be back too. Iron is used in the human body to produce haemoglobin the carrier of oxygen in the blood. Haemoglobin is stored in the red blood cells, which are broken down after a short period to form bile salts and are then excreted. We, therefore, constantly need new supplies of iron to replenish iron that is lost by the body. Women who menstruate and do lose blood in varying quantities every month have an even greater need to iron replenishment. Some individuals also have an inability to absorb iron properly from food and many food sources contain a lot of iron, but the iron is not bioavailable and is difficult to absorb (e.g. spinach).

1
Posted by: Jak | 2008/01/08

I thank you.

Reply to Jak