Question
Posted by: Allen | 2007/06/23

Irish Jack

I have a 10 month old irish jack russel (Miller). What can I do to keep him busy when I'm at work. He has a lot of toys but I suspect he is bored when I'm not there as he is a bit destructive.

He gets enough excersize, I take him to go and play and run on the
school sports field.

Please see earlier reply.

4
Posted by: Joni | 2007/06/28

Yup, Jack Russells don't do very well as only dogs (actually no dog should be an only dog, they are after all pack animals).

Another puppy would definitely help. Too many toys is also not good, they become boring and the puppy gets tired of playing with. Try varying the toys daily and only give 3 or 4 a day. Empty coke bottles with your puppies favourite treats inside will help provide hours of entertainment, kong toys filled with peanut butter and then frozen overnight will fill some more time.

Jack Russels need lots of mental stimulation too not just physical exercise. They do very very well and are very clever and easily trained.

Then there is doggy daycare/dog camp, McKaynine Training School in Honeydew offers it, you can take your dog in at 7 in the morning and collect at 5. They have trainers who keep an eye on them, dogs are allowed to socialise in a controlled environment, they have shelter, safe environment, and make lots of friends.

Dogs are not designed to be alone, unlike say cats which can cope alone if they have to! Thats why I've got 5 dogs and 4 cats.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Kate | 2007/06/25

Hi allen.
I have 2 Jack Russells and I must say that having retired parents at home in the granny flat has been my saving grace.
My dogs do not bark all day and night, they do not dig up my garden and are very happy social guys.
I take them to the beach every weekend for 2 hours to get in a good run.

Good luck with your little guy.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Youls | 2007/06/24

You need to get him a friend (another dog) to keep him company during the day. He can't be alone the whole day.

Reply to Youls
Posted by: Carol | 2007/06/24

I think your best bet after getting him properly trained .. is going to be a friend .... a female russel , have him neutered and her spayed and they will keep each other busy.

A JRT never gets enough excersise.

Reply to Carol