Posted by: minky | 2011/09/09

Iodine deficiency

hi dr how does one test for iodine deficiency? ive always had an enlarged multi nodular thyroid, not over or under active? Would it be a usual blood test at a lab and would i need to take prescribed meds to correct it or not? Over the counter ? i dont use much salt in cooking and thats how i grew up eating, not much salt, could it be the cause of the enlargemnt? my sister and dad also have enlarged goitres. Its starting to worry me cosmetically if it is iodine def will correcting that shrink this area or not? if its not related to iodine how can i cosmetically correct the enlargement?
Thanks any referrals in PTA?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I suggest that you consult your doctor for a blood test to determine if you have iodine deficiency. Correcting iodine levels, should resolve the enlarged thyroid, if this is the cause.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.