Question
Posted by: BC | 2004/10/28

investment

looking around for some good investment (short-term), anybody has any good suggestions?

Gosh, BC, now you really do seem to have found the topic about which I probably know less than almost anyone else ; but maybe our other Wise Women and Wise Men do know of some.

6
Posted by: Wpp | 2004/10/29

Hi BC,
Firstly, if you have any outstanding debt pay it off first, that's the best investment you can make.
As to your question to Kabous, I believe that you don't pay any tax on your dividends on a money market product as it is not considered as interest.
I will be seeing my financial advisor on monday as I have been retrenched and will have to make some serious decisions as to what I'm going to do with my package and pension. Should he give me some good pointers I will write back on this site to share the info with you guys sometime next week.

Reply to Wpp
Posted by: BC | 2004/10/29

Kabous-- Could u tell me how much tax I must pay to the RR for the interest received from money market?

Reply to BC
Posted by: BC | 2004/10/29

Thanks alot everybody, I appreciated very much.

Reply to BC
Posted by: Straycat | 2004/10/29

Buy property ! ... rent it out ...then sell in 5 years...

Reply to Straycat
Posted by: Kabous | 2004/10/28

There are a few good investments to do at ABSA.You can use the money market.You get a bank card and can even draw money or ad money.Depents on how much you want to put in because you are going to get interest and you can pay tax on the interest.Then you get divident fund and that is tax free.There if you aply for your money you wait 4days.But the interest is slightly les than money market because of know tax.But you stil win.On money market they put the interest with your salery and tax you the whole lot and then on the end you get more money in your pocket with devident fund.There are outher investments at ABSA for 5yrs that is very good,must just go find out.

Reply to Kabous
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/28

How long is short term? Anything less than 5 years and the bank is the safest bet - or a money market related unit trust which have a guarantee built in. If you're prepared to be a bit more riskier than unit trusts are your best bet.
Don't go for anything that isn't well known or registered with the FSB - It could be a scam.

Reply to Chelle