Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2008/10/14

Inverted nipple

Hi Doc,
I have just noticed that my daughter' s (age 10) left nipple is inverted and slightly blue. The breast does seem to be a bit bigger than the right and I can feel quite a large bump. She says she has a " bone"  in the one breast but not the other. Do lumps in the breast have the same implications for children as it does for adults? Should I have her seen by doctor and if so would I see a GP or a Gynae?

Many thanks

Dear Concerned Mom
In girls aged 10-14 years the bump you feel may be breast tissue starting to develop, and it may often be more in the one breast than the other ( the breasts don't always grow symetrically) Removing a lump in a small girls breast may in reality have the same effect as a mastectomy so we would almost never operate on a breast lump in a little girl. Let your GP have a look - if he is worried he can send her to a surgeon for further tests ( sonar or maybe a sample with a thin needle under local or general anaesthetic) The most likely cause is that it is just normal breast tissue that is reacting on hormonal changes in her body.