Question
Posted by: ursulah | 2004/12/06

inversion therapy & cycling

i'm a keen social cyclist. been cycling for the past 4 years. done +-7000km om road. i spin 4 x /week and funride on weekends. i suffer from bad back & neck pain after every cycle session.
have had my bike professionally set up so don't thinks its the problem. don't have any other physical condition either.
i recently saw the inversion table / therapy. had a demonstration and liked what i saw. would like others opinion though on the long term results of use of the inversion therapy table for relieve of back / neck pain
your opinion will be appreciated.
groetnis
ursulah

Hi Ursulah

I must confess that I don't know much about the proven evidence for inversion therapy. I know that the principle is that gravity does the work, but I don't know that much has been proven, and on the internet the predominant source of information is advertising, which is always dodgy to rely on. The somewhat objective information I was able to find suggests that it does have some effect - similar to chiropractor treatment, in fact. So, I guess that the choice is very much yours. it doesn't seem to be a particularly risky form of treatment, with certain exceptions, but in a healthy person, there's not much to lose, other than the expense of purchasing it. I mentioned certain exceptions - these are hypertension (high blood pressure), heart or circulatory disorders, stroke, hiatus hernia, retinal detachment, glaucoma (excessive pressure in the eye), dizziness, bone weaknesses (including osteoporosis, unhealed fractures or surgically implanted orthopaedic supports), head injury, acute spinal injury, swollen joints, chronic sinusitis, motion sickness, inner ear problems. If you have any of these, you should not attempt inversion therapy at all. Otherwise, the choice is very much yours.