Question
Posted by: Peta | 2007/12/04

Introduction of new puppy

I had the unfortunate experience of putting down my beloved GSD male on Sunday, rather unexpectedly due to heart enlargement and tumours.

I also have an 18 month old female GSD - not spade - who is extremely boisterous, playful etc and she is having a hard time without her friend, looking for him, whining, not eating too well etc.

I am thinking of getting a new friend for her, as my hubby and i work all day and i dont want her to be lonely. My husband found an adorable cross breed bull terrier 8wk old pup at animal welfare - only problem is that she is female, would this cause fighting between the two?

Is it too soon to introduce a new pup into the picture? My GSD is a very jealous girl and i dont want to cause problems...

Thanks in advance for your advise...
P

It shouldn't cause fighting but some dogs are more dominant that others. Introducing a pup should not be a problem but given the disposition of the existing dog be careful and supervise their time together until they are accustomed to each other.

8
Posted by: Andrew | 2007/12/05

Well said, Carol and Chill and Donna. Grow up, Peta.

Reply to Andrew
Posted by: Donna | 2007/12/05

Peta I dont believe chill needs to learn how to phrase things and I think you are being incredibly rude because there is nothing bad in Chills reply. It looks like you dont like the word "excuse" or something but i suggest you go and learn some english because it makes perfect sence to me. People ar often damn rude on this forum and they dont apreciate that people try to help all they want to do is be defensive. You asked a question and you got an asnwer and now you throw a tantrum like a spoiled baby. Grow up and watch your manners.
Also if those dogs fight I hope you have the descency to come bak on here and tell us.

Reply to Donna
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/05

My God.

Who peed on your battery, Peta? Or are you simply looking for an excuse to be offensive?

Put down your hackles and read my response again - there is NO 'badly phrased' advice - my intentions were pure, honourable, and helpful, and the advice was sound, whether you like it or not.

I perfectly understand that you found a cute puppy you wanted to adopt. You asked whether it was a good idea. I have reservations about that, and I said so. Even though you have responded in a pretty toxic manner, I still don't wish you or your dogs any harm.

How you find it even remotely possible to take what I said as offensive will always remain a mystery to me.

Have a wonderful life.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/05

Chill has a lot of experience and knows what he is talking about so dont be too hard on him.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Peta | 2007/12/05

Chill needs to learn how to phrase things...

I am not looking for an "excuse" for anything!!! I am trying to do what is best for my dog here, if i didnt care i wouldnt have posted.

So thanks but no thanks Chill - you can keep your comments to yourself....

By the way, havent got that pup because of other reasons but no thanks to you!

Reply to Peta
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/05

Chill makes a valid point ... so think carefully.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/04

If you KNOW that your GSD female tends to be dominant, and you KNOW that bullterriers - which are of course otherwise really great dogs - are sometimes less than friendly towards other dogs, then I think you're quite possibly exposing yourself to a load of trouble. It's all very well talking about training and spaying... but once trouble starts between two females, resolving it quite regularly involves rehoming one, and all the heartache that results from that.

Since you presently have the choice without the heartache, I really would suggest you consider getting a new male dog rather than a female. It's a far safer option. You may decide to ignore this and go with what you're considering, and there is a good possibility that it will all work out fine, and you'll think: that Chill was talking a whole lot of garbage. But if it doesn't work out, you'll be sitting with a problem plenty of people find unbelievably difficult to resolve... do an archive search on fighting, and inter-female aggression, and you'll see what I mean.

I would recommend that rather than finding an 'excuse' to adopt this female puppy, you make a rational decision to do what's wise...

I'm sorry about your male having to be put down, by the way. Been there, and I know how painful it is. Good job you have another one to distract you.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/04

Its one of those things that one never knows , spaying them both and training them both and learning about pack behaviour will help a lot.

I tend to go on about training and learning basic pack behaviour but I can guarentee you that learning dogs body language will save a lot of grief in the long run .... It has saved me plenty of heartache and stress with my delinquant boxer bitch .:)

Reply to Carol