Question
Posted by: Moksidan | 2005/06/27

Introduction betw cat and dogs

I have two dogs, a male -|- er spaniel (recently neutered, 2 years old) and a female daschund (2 years old).

What are the best methods to introduce my dogs to my friends cat (7 months old)? Will the cat run away?

Very urgent!please!

Hi Moksidan

I would suggest you close all doors and windows, the cat will run as soon as he sees the dogs. Put the cat in a bedroom for a day with food, water and cat sand, then put him in another room and allow the dogs to go into the bedroom that the cat was in and sniff. Watch their behaviour. If you think they were doing fine, the you can allow one dog at a time to see the cat. Put the dog on a lead or hold him by the collar and let the cat out. Allow the cat to go back into the room if he is too nervous. Gradually let each of them get used to each other, even if they sniff each other trough a closed door for a week. Sometimes people just leave the cat and dogs together and they are happy. YOu will be able to determine that by watching the behaviour of the dogs. Do one dog at a time, because 2 will gang up on the cat. Do not fuss and talk and get nervous while doing this, because the dogs will sence it and want to protect. Keep all doors and windows closed, because the cat will run if scared.

CDV

1
Posted by: Moksidan | 2005/06/27

Doc,

I usually visit my friend on weekends. Will it be damaging for my spaniel if i take the daschund away with me for a couple of weekends, so that she she can get used to the cat first?

Then, when they are on a good footing, i can bring the spaniel in. Maybe he will catch on if he sees the daschunds ''normal' reaction to the cat?

In the event of the cat running, will she return to the house?

Reply to Moksidan