Question
Posted by: Alison | 2004/01/19

Introducing Scottish terrier to other dogs.

Shortly i will be moving into a flat on a large property. The owners have offered to fence off a small garden for my Scotty. There are currently a number of dogs that run freely on the grounds with not problems at all. There are a couple of small dogs and a full grown boerbull bitch. My dog is a neutered male. My question is how should we introduce them. My dog is an only "child". I am just worried that if they get to know each other through a fence it may increase aggression. However, if they meet face to face, it could also be risky. Please advise.

Hi Alison
How the dogs get on depends on a number of factors, some of which are: how well-socialised your Scotty is; how large the property is; what the other dogs breeds, genders and temperaments are; and how well-socialised they are with strange dogs. Keeping them separated may be a good idea in the long term, especially when you are out, as a dog fight is likely to be nasty when all the dogs join in, which they are likely to do. The best way to introduce them is on neutral territory (like a park or on the pavement away from the house), preferably one by one. Once they have all met your Scotty then you can walk him back with one of them into the property and see what happens. Let them get to know each other outside first, off lead. Try to relax, don't stare at them and never scream or move suddenly while this is taking place. Hotspots will be gateways and doorways, around food and toys and around owners and sleeping places, so avoid conflict in these areas. Feed the dogs separately, remove all food and toys when the dogs are all together (for the first few weeks) and don't hang around gates and doors. Hope this helps.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: PATTI | 2006/03/13

My daughter-in-law's mother has a male dalmation +- 3 years old - the other day he attacked and killed their fox-terrier and a little dachshund cross - both had been with the family for years (both males).
My concern now is that my son and daughter-in-law live on the same plot and they have a daughter of 16 months - will he not attack her ? Should they not do something about the dog for my granddaughter's safety. Also I want to get her a Labrador puppy - but am too scared as he might attack the puppy. What should I do ?

Reply to PATTI