Question
Posted by: Janie | 2007/04/03

Intolerant & Eating problem.

I have been off dairy & gluten for over 2 years as I realized it has always been the cause off a sensitive stomach and weight gain, but I have never been tested to see if I am definately intolerant. I also have an eating problem which sprung from my childhood which messes me around from time to time. I don't have money to do expensive tests or to see psycholigists, etc. Where can I find help?

Dear Janie
This is a problem because you sound as if you need help in 2 areas: 1) a diagnosis to see if you are really intolerant to wheat (gluten) and dairy products, so that if you are not intolerant you can resume eating these valuable foods (esp the milk and dairy which is our best source of calcium), 2) your eating problem. I don't know where you live, but if you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010, which should not be too expensive to consult. Otherwise contact your nearest state hospital and ask if they have departments such as Gastroenterology (for the food intolerances) and Psychiatry (for the eating disorder).
Do try and get some help as these problems must be complicating your life a great deal.

1
Posted by: Janie | 2007/04/10

Thank you so much for you quick repsponse. I live in Cape Town and I'm not sure where to get these tests done. I am almost 100% certian that I am lactose intolerant, but I'm not sure about wheat. I just know I am very sensitive to it. The eating problem is messing me around more than anything else. I used to be very overweight when I was under 16, but I am now 22 and ever since then I exercise very regularly and eat very healthy. I weigh 55kg's, which isn't a lot, but the problem exists in my mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to Janie