Question
Posted by: CBC | 2004/10/20

Interval Training

I would like to know what kind of fitness interval training develops, and what sort of intervals can I use to get fit for soccer.

How does it differ from aerobic training? How does this kind of training actually make you fitter?

HI CBC

Interval training must be very specific to the activity you are training for. So, for soccer, you would do interval training over very short distances, like 5 to 25 m. To do this, you might for example do a multistage shuttle test. To do this, you set up a series of 6 cones 5 m apart, and then run from the first cone to the second and back, then to the third and back to the first, and then to the fourth and so on. This type of training builds the ability to run repeated bouts at high intensity, to change direction and to accelerate. In contrast, aerobic training is running at a steady pace for say 30 to 40 minutes. This is very different and I would say that for a soccer team, it's less important to do this. You see, you have to be able to change direction, run fast for a short distance, then stop and repeat this again and again. You very rarely have to run further than 60 m at top speed, so training the ability to jog for 30 minutes is not that relevant. That's not to say that it's not important, but it is important to understand that the aerobic training must be used to build up basic fitness and then the interval training is for the specific, high intensity fitness.

HOpe this helps