Question
Posted by: Dreams | 2004/01/22

Interpreting dreams

My first question is: Do dreams have a particular meaning?
The reason I’m asking this is that lately (past 8-10 weeks) I’ve been dreaming about having a baby with my girlfriend of a 3 years stable relationship. I’d dream about us playing with “our baby” or I’d dream about me at hospital waiting in the maternity ward. I’ll be so happy in the dreams. I was fine with this till yesterday when she told me she’s had the same type of dream twice this week alone and twice weeks ago?
She’s on the pill so there’s no way she can be pregnant. Or???But I doubt!!!
I’m tempted to think its time we have a baby but then I know we agreed not to have a child in the next two years because she’s going back to study full time for her 2nd degree. I’m 24, she’s 22. I know how much I would love to have a baby with this woman and I believe I’m both ready emotionally & financially.
Why do we keep dreaming about this????

Dear Dreams,
Do, please, check the archives of this forum for all that I've previously said about dreams, so I don't have to repeat myself too much !
No, dreams ABSOLUTELY do NOT have a specific meaning, any more than the paterns displayed on screen when you run Defrag on your computer's hard disk, have a specific meaning, other than representing the process of degragmentation. Usually, they are essenially meaningless ; at most they may contain garbled versions of whatever issues and thought are bothering you at the time --- they don't predict the future, and they don't usually represent solutions to one's problems.
Regardless of whether a pregnancy is likely or not, he most one could usefully conclude is that despite your logical mutual decision not to seek a baby yet, both of you are at times thinking that you might be ready, and could enjoy sharing parenthood.