Question
Posted by: A.B | 2004/10/24

Interested in a career in genetics

Hi there!

I am currently in matric and don't really know what to do with my life next year. I am interested in a few careers though and genetics is one of them. I am very good at biology and enjoy working in laboratories. Can you please tell me exactly what a geneticist does and what it is like to be a geneticist? What does a day in the life of a geneticist entail? what are the working hours like?

Many thanks,
A.B

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear AB

Most geneticists perform experiments/research/testing, write reports to inform doctors/patients of test results, train students, give lectures at conferences and write scientific articles. It is wonderful to be a geneticist because the field is developing so rapidly with new genes/mutations identified nearly every day. The working hours are usually eight hours per day but if you are serious about your work and enjoys it genetics also becomes your hobby - in other words if you do not work you THINK about genetics and how it can be used to help others continuously.

Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: chuka | 2004/11/13

am a graduate of genetics in nigeria.
but there is no hope of all those labs u talk about in my country.
could u link me up with a place i could work.
i have all my graduating papers.

Reply to chuka