Question
Posted by: blaze | 2004/12/06

Interceed

Can someone please tell me what interceed is, and how neccessary it is, as I am due to have a c-section in a few days, and medical aid does not pay for this.

Golly is right.

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/12/06

Blaze,

Interceed is a product used in the abdominal cavity to prevent adhesions after surgery. Apparently, it really works but the medical aids say it was not approved by the right authorities (thus they refuse to pay).

However, from what I understand the product has been taken off the market since. As a substitute the abdominal cavity is filled with saline to prevent infections etc. but it does not have the same effectiveness that Interceed had in protecting against adhesions.

I suggest you find out from the medical team if they are still using Interceed. If you had problems with adhesions previously it may be a good idea to pay for that yourself (it is quite expensive). It is elective to get Interceed after abdominal surgery and would depend on your medical history.

All the best with the C-section!

Reply to Golly