Question
Posted by: Jane | 2002/12/04

INTENSE LEG PAINS

My friend is almost 50, probably pre-menopausal; her job entails being on her feet all day (most of her adult life). She doesn't take many vitamins, is a non-smoker, not much exercise, but she has very high blood pressure (not on any medication as yet). She also has potential varicose veins problems and has intermittent arthritis in her hands.
She experiences intense pain in her left leg (and slightly less in the other leg) almost permanently.
She has recently started a gentle walking programme, and her left calf muscle is very tight.
She recently tested clear on Vitamin B12, Diabetes and Cholesterol (she describes the pain as needles sticking into her).
Her doctor thinks it might be sciatica nerve problems, and has suggested some back exercises.
Should my friend also be tested for Calcium and Rheumatoid Factor?
I would like to suggest that she takes a good Vitamin C with bioflavanoids, and Vitamin E (starting with 100 iu. because of the high blood pressure). She has recently started taking a good Calcium/Magnesium/Boron supplement and Flax seed oil, and has started Epsom Salt baths and skin brushing.
The leg pains started about 2 years ago.
Regards, Jane

Jane, the supplements you suggest won’t do any harm and are probably a good idea. The best would be for her to have an ultra sound and Doppler studies of both her lower legs done. This will tell us if she has big varicose veins, blood clots or abnormal blood flow. If the tests are normal she doesn’t have to worry and can carry on exercising. Good luck.