Posted by: xyz | 2008/09/25

intelligence deterioration

For the past year or so i seem to experience an increase in intellectual dicline. these are the symptoms:
1. i seem to become dumber. (i used to be sharp with calculations and good in grammer and comprehension, now i am suffering to write a descent report)
2. my forgetfullness is increasing. i tend to forget the simplest of words/phrases. i cant seem to part take in an intelligent conversation anymore. (at first i know what i wanted to say but it couldnt come out of my mouth, now i simply forget the initail thought, period.)
3. while i am talking, sometimes i suddenly forget what my initial point, i wanted to make, was.
4. i need to the read the same passage / sentence 2 times to fully comprehend what i am reading.
5. i seem to be in a constant " daze"  as if i am only half awake. it feels as if i am just drifting through time and space, i want to scream and get out of it but i dont know how too. it' s if i am under a " spell"  or something. this is very frustrating.
6. i seem to be very tired most of the time, even though i get adequate sleep.
7. i find it very difficult to concentrate and remember.

I was a reasonable intelligent individual, passed with honours from high school and did pretty good at college as well. all this started about 2 years or so ago and escalated the past year.

i dont know whether i am suffering from some sort of dimensia or something. i havent been to a medical professional yet apart from a GP, which contributed it all to a lack of excercise. eventhough i do not follow a strict excercise plan, my work is of a physical nature hence i am not that unfit.

Maybe i need to excercise more, follow a stricter diet and spend my time around intelligent people, i dont know. this is getting worrying though

i weigh about +-80 kg. height +- 1.7m, age 29yrs.

Please help

I doubt that this is all due to any lack of exercise, but there could be so very many posible causes for such a situation. Probably the commonest is NOT a dementia, though I understand that possibility worries you, but stress and/or depression, which respond well to treatment, or a number of physical conditions, such as anaemia, also ghenerally likely to be readily treatable. It would be sensible to see either a good local psychiatrist ( a fully trained doctor with Psych training as well ) or a specialist in general medicine / general physician first, to check out the physical possibilities.
Exercising more, and following a healthy diet, and spending more time with intelligent people can't do any harm and may help, as well, but its best to have all other possibiolities examined and ruled out or dalt with

Posted by: BUDWISER | 2008/09/25

Sounds like burnout to me! Your brain just needs a rest. If it persists get a medical workup. Look up natural medicine practionner for supplements. Take care. Do it asap.

Posted by: Kelly | 2008/09/25

That sounds like me lately!
Im 25, i thought it was the normal ageing process

Reply to Kelly