Question
Posted by: Nina | 2006/04/04

Insulin Resistant & diet

I am a 32 year old indian female whom has been recently diagnosed by a physician as being insulin resistant. My insulin levels are high but my glucose level is within normal range. He asked me to see a dietician but I cannot afford to. My question is do I need to eat foods with low or high GI?
This is what my diet is for the day:
Breakfast is half a cup of pro nutro with full cream milk and 2 tsp sugar.
At 10am a cup of black tea(rooibos) with 1 tsp sugar
Lunch: Rice with meat & veggies(always curried)
At 3pm a cup of tea again with 1tsp sugar
Supper: Rice or white bread with meat/veg curry or fried meat/eggs/fish.
another cup of tea with 1tsp sugar
I weigh 58 kgs and would like to lose about 6 kgs mainly around my abdomen. I have not been put on any meds as Dr says this can be corrected with diet and excercise alone. I also cycle on the excercise bike 4 times a week for 25 mins at a time.

Dear Nina
I agree with the physician: It is absolutely essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resstance and other conditions such as overweight into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the good work with the exercise bike as you need to do about 30 min a day to improve your insulin resistance. If I look at your diet then I would remove all the sugar (high GI), eat All-Bran or unsifted maize meal porridge for breakfast with low-fat milk, use brown rice instead of white, use lean meat with no visible fat prepared without added fat, increase your intake of low GI vegetables, don't fry meat, etc.
Save up the money to see a dietitian - they are not expensive - you won't regret it.