Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/04/27

Insulin resistant

Dear Dietdoc, I am a 34+ year old female and heavily overweight. I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life and am a recovering bullimic. I am struggling to loose weight. I have tried everything under the sun and still nothing. I do exercise three times a week i.e. walking 20 - 30 minutes. A couple of months ago I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and my gp has prescribed glucophage. This did not help at all. I am very depressed and at a all time low. Do you have any advise of how I can break this cycle and start loosing weight?

Dear Dee
It is absolutely essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the good work with the walking and try to increase how far, how fast and how long you walk as you get fitter and start losing weight. Regular aerobic exercise, like brisk walking not only promotes weight loss, but it also helps to regulate your insulin and glucose levels and counteracts depression because you will produce natural chemicals called endorphins when you exercise, that give you a 'lift'.
Hang in there, but see the dietitian immediately after this long weekend.

1
Posted by: MILO | 2007/04/27

dee, hang in there i have the same background and am tired of being thin and fat, maby there is some magic solution to kickstart us in the right direction.

Reply to MILO