Posted by: Mel | 2004/01/21

Insulin resistant


I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance two years ago. In the meantime, I did have a baby who is now 15 months old. I am 23 and approximately 35 kg's overweight. My GP referred me to a dietician, the diet I am on is as follows:

Breaskfast: alternating between jungle oats and milk one day and the next a boiled egg, rye toast and half a tomato.
Snack: Ryevita with lettuce and cucumber and cottage cheese as well as a fruit.
Lunch: Either fish or chicken with either salad or homemade vegetable broth and a slice of rye bread.
Snack: Same as before, only Vitalinea yoghurt instead of fruit
Supper: Either fish or chicken with carrots, baby marrows and 2 tbs rice or small potato. (vegetables vary from day to day)
Snack: Either fruit or ryevita with lettuce and cottage cheese.

I am allowed to eat pasta (durum wheat) once a week and extra lean, non-fat red meat once a week. No pork, lamb or sugar. All meat must be grilled. I am also taking Vascafem, evening primrose oil (gynaes orders) and zinc. I drink about three to four litres of water a day.

Is this a good diet? I was told that I should exercise daily as well, but this is extremely difficult when I work quite far from where I live and I have a small child. I have been following this diet for a month and have lost 6 kg's. I don't feel any different, though. Would you suggest any variation on this diet. I know that most people have a "no carbohydrates" approach to dieting, but as the dietician explained to me, I am not on a diet. I am experiencing a change in lifestyle and the food I have to eat will only benefit that. I don't want to become a diabetic, but it's very hard to avoid all those really fattening things out there. What is your take on insulin resistance and still eating carbohydrates?

Thanks very much

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Mel
Please see my reply below.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Pat | 2004/03/03

What will happen if you take the vascafem with iodine and you are allegic to it.

Reply to Pat

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.