Question
Posted by: Mel | 2004/01/21

Insulin resistant

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance two years ago. In the meantime, I did have a baby who is now 15 months old. I am 23 and approximately 35 kg's overweight. My GP referred me to a dietician, the diet I am on is as follows:

Breaskfast: alternating between jungle oats and milk one day and the next a boiled egg, rye toast and half a tomato.
Snack: Ryevita with lettuce and cucumber and cottage cheese as well as a fruit.
Lunch: Either fish or chicken with either salad or homemade vegetable broth and a slice of rye bread.
Snack: Same as before, only Vitalinea yoghurt instead of fruit
Supper: Either fish or chicken with carrots, baby marrows and 2 tbs rice or small potato. (vegetables vary from day to day)
Snack: Either fruit or ryevita with lettuce and cottage cheese.

I am allowed to eat pasta (durum wheat) once a week and extra lean, non-fat red meat once a week. No pork, lamb or sugar. All meat must be grilled. I am also taking Vascafem, evening primrose oil (gynaes orders) and zinc. I drink about three to four litres of water a day.

Is this a good diet? I was told that I should exercise daily as well, but this is extremely difficult when I work quite far from where I live and I have a small child. I have been following this diet for a month and have lost 6 kg's. I don't feel any different, though. Would you suggest any variation on this diet. I know that most people have a "no carbohydrates" approach to dieting, but as the dietician explained to me, I am not on a diet. I am experiencing a change in lifestyle and the food I have to eat will only benefit that. I don't want to become a diabetic, but it's very hard to avoid all those really fattening things out there. What is your take on insulin resistance and still eating carbohydrates?

Thanks very much

Dear Mel
Full marks to your dietitian. I think you are on a very sensible diet and the fact that you have already lost 6 kg is stunning. The only way to treat insulin resistance and PCOS is to use a balanced, low-fat diet which makes use of minimally processed carbohydrates with a low GI - exactly what your dietician has prescribed for you. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that if you have a problem with insulin then you need to avoid ALL carbs - you must avoid highly processed carbs with a high GI (glycaemic index). So carry on with this excellent diet and try to include some exercise - if you put baby into a pushchair and take him/her for brisk walks for 30 min a day if possible- take hubby along if you are scared of walking alone (he will also benefit). Or ask Fitness Doc for a home workout which will help you to control your weight and the insulin resistance - it is really worth it.
Keep up the good work