Question
Posted by: Jayaspery | 2004/11/27

Insulin Resistance and Thyroid Problem

I have both the above.Take Metformin 850 g and Eltroxin.I am 46 yrs,female, 70 kgs 1.62 ,train 5 days a week.I am not losing abdominal fat,but toning and shaping all over.I am also suffering fom severe exhaustion.Eat a well balanced meal everyday.Would you suggest I take Xenical ?

Dear Jayaspery
No I do not think Xenical is indicated in your case because your present BMI = 26,7, which is just above the normal range (18-25). If you can lose 7 kg (which should be possible with a diet and the exercise you do), then you weight would be nicely back in the normal range. Your exhaustion is due to your insulin resistance and thyroid deficiency. It takes quite a while for both conditions to react to the medications you are taking (i.e. 3 months for thyroid levels to normalise). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index and a low fat content.
Do hope you soon feel better.