Question
Posted by: Kenya | 2007/05/14

Insulin Resistance and Metformin

I have been overweight all my life & have probably tried every diet recorded. From January this year, i started a low carb diet which i found easier than any other diet. While a friend of mine lost large amounts of weight, me, being even more strict, lost virtually no weight. I complained to my GP who tested me for 'Thyroid' trouble as well as Insulin. The Thyroid test was fine but the insulin starving test came back showing that my insulin levels were very elevated and he diagnosed me with insulin resistance. I have been on Glucophage/metformin 500mg for the last 4 days. I find that i cannot eat much, experience nausea and mild diarrhea. My question is, will these side effects pass as my body adjusts to the medication and most importantly, what are the chances of this medication assisting me with my weight problem? I would really like to hear from people who have been in this situation/similar.

Dear Kenya
I hope that the other Readers who have used Metformin (Glucophage) will give you feedback. Generally speaking, the side-effects of this type of medication should improve over time. However, if you should still feel nauseous and suffer from diarrhoea after 2-3 weeks of using it, then you must contact the prescribing dr and discuss this problem with him. In addition to using this medication, it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. If possible you should try to do 30 or more minutes of aerobic exercise every day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), because regular aerobic exercise helps to normalise blood glucose and insulin levels, stimulates your metabolism and also assists with weight loss. The combination of the Glucophage, a low-GI diet and the exercise will cause weight loss.