Posted by: Lani | 2008/10/22

Insulin resistance

Can you please tell me wat does it mean to be insulin resistance. What should I do.

Dear Lani
Insulin resistance means that your body makes insulin, but the so-called insulin receptors on your body cells can't 'recognise' it and don't transport blood sugar properly. The high levels of sugar in the blood can lead to overweight and in time even to type 2 diabetes. It is essential for anyone with IR to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and the spastic colon, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
See a dietitian ASAP

Posted by: Mary | 2009/04/04

I am in my early 20' s and i have insulin resistance.
My insulin has dropped by 12 points since being on medication and i have since lost 12 of the 18kg i have picked up due to my insulin. How do i lose the other 6kgs and keep my insulin within a normal range without being banned from eating most foods?
I dont drink fizzy drinks or eat fast foods and i exercise regularly.

Reply to Mary