Posted by: Karli | 2008/09/10

Insulin Resistance

Good Morning,

I went to my gynae on Monday who did blood tests and he just confirmed that I am Insulin Resistant, level ,35. He has put me on glucophage 850mg twice a day. What does it mean? What is normal levels? I am really over weight, and I have made an appointment with a dietician on Friday.

It means that you are pre-diabetic. As LL says it can also be associated with PCOS.

Posted by: LL | 2008/09/10

This normally goes hand in hand with PCOS. If you follow a low Gi diet and moderate exersice or just lose a bit of weight - the number comes down. GLucophage brings down that level so you might feel a bit naar at first. I left the medication cause it made me feel bad but i lost 14kgs over 2 yrs and kept checking my bloodsugar levels that should be 5.5 (not the insulin levels) to see if i was on the right track.

Good luck!

Reply to LL