Question
Posted by: Sam | 2008/06/23

insulin resistance

Hi - i am a 24year old female who has been diagnosed with insuling resistance.i would just like to find out what i can and cannot eat as well as if there is any kind of medication that i can take for it.i am overweight and would like to do something about it.i am on the vitamin b12 injection diet but am losing really slowly and at times even pick up - please help me i am desperate.

Dear Sam
It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment and the vit B12 injection diet is obviously not helping you. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Discuss with the dietitian if she/he would recommend you using products such as Glucophage (the latter must be prescribed by a dr). Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels and promote weight loss, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1
Posted by: erika | 2008/06/25

I have PCOS which contribute to insulin resitance...
But this news changed my life as I finilly now know why I was gaining weight without really eating much!

WHAT WORKS FOR ME

1. Low GI diet

2. Eating 3 meals during the day with 2 snacks but not eating later than 6 in the evening and not skipping a meal...if you dont have time to eat...Drink a herbalife shake... Because it is very important to keep your sugar levels as even as possilbe...
Anything you eat to spike your levels makes you gain weight and feel horrible

3.Gym 3 time per week and mountainbiking

4. Herbalife vitamins

Now I have tons of energy to do exercise and I feel better than ever...and I've lost 14kg in 9 months

Reply to erika