Question
Posted by: Unsure | 2007/12/12

Insulin Resistance

I have just been diagnosed with insulin resistance and I am a little confused as to how I got it!

I do not have high blood pressure and I am not overly over weight or obese. I have noticed the past 6 months that I have gained a considerable amount of weight, but I hardly eat anything, which is why I went to the doctor, as the weight gain was starting to worry me.

My insulin levels are very high, as well as my blood sugar levels, although this time 2 years ago, my blood sugar level was extremely low.

I am 21 years old. What could have caused me to get this?

Dear Unsure
The cause of insulin resistance is not fully understood. It is thought to be due partly to genetic factors, including ethnicity, and partly to lifestyle, such as excessive caloric intake and inadequate exercise. Your risk is higher if you have a family member with diabetes or if you are overweight.