Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2005/12/04

Insulin resistance

Please explain the above insulin resistance, and the way in prevent one from losing weight, and the glucophage the peolple talk about?I am over weight and cant seem to lose the excess 10-12kg although I eat not to much:Brkfast 1 Egg on 2slices Brown toast,lunch 1 wholeweat roll with thin slice cheese, at about 3 piece of fruit eithet banana grapes or what ever i have available, and 4-6 provitas, then dinner time a little proteine, veg,and either a likkte rice(dont like it!!or a potato, bed time 4 provitas with thin spread fat free cottage cheese mixed with marmite and a small banana(To stabilise blood sugar as I have Hypoglycemia and 4 the past 2-3years IBS,very bloated after eating to much protein.Some days I would like a bite sized choc.

Dear Nicky
In patients who suffer from insulin resistance, the insulin (a hormone produces by the pancreas) they produce does not do its job of transferring glucose out of the blood into the body cells where it can be used as a source of energy. The body cells have become insensitive or 'resistant' to insulin. Because there is an excess amount of glucose in the blood it is easily converted into fat instead of being used for energy. Seeing that you are not eating excessive amounts of food, I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to test your thyroid, female hormone and insulin functions. If you do suffer from insulin resistance the dr will prescribe the necessary medication such as Glucophage and you will need to consult a clinical dietitian. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, or join a gym or Walk for Life because physical exercise is one of the most important factors in controlling insulin resistance and promoting weight loss.