Question
Posted by: Andrea | 2004/11/16

Insulin resistance

Ive recently had some blood work done and the only negative thing we found was a insulin level of close on 20.

Off to a dietitian i go and he put me on a 900 cal per day diet, no sugar and no bread. Ive been following this diet for near 4 weeks and Ive only lost 3 kgs. He wants me to loose 1.6kgs per week, with a total of between 25-30 kgs in 3 months. Now i am considering giving up cause after living off leaves and carrots for 4 weeks i loose a half a kilo per week (the first week i lost 2.2 in water i was told). I don't feel that its worth the effort.

In any case... Would a supplement like the Salute Sugar Level from Kenza Health help? They claim it will help non-diabetics with insulin regulation cause it helps the patient respond to insulin.

Will it help?

Suzanne

Dear Andrea
If you suffer from insulin resistance and/or are pre-diabetic then it is essential for you to use a diet with a low glycaemic index. I would suggest that you obtain a second opinion from another dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area) as the correct diet is central to the treatment of this condition. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat diet which you can use for weight loss in combination with exercise. Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) and click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' (which is similar to insulin resistance) to obtain more information. I am not acquainted with the product you mention, so cannot comment on this specific product.

1
Posted by: buddie | 2004/11/17

try glucophage...helps!!

Reply to buddie