Question
Posted by: Jude | 2006/11/06

insulin level high

Hi, Ive been putting on some weight over the last year(about 6 kg) Im 33 and have had my insulin tested three times this year in March, May and now in November. The insulin levels are high but the glucose levels are normal. My GP put me on a Low GI diet that Ive started today. I have a few questions,
Will this diet help me loose weight?
Do I need to eat less sugar and if so what can I use instead especially in my tea which I have about 8 cups a day with 1 teaspoon of sugar now?
On the diet sheet it says Pronutro orignal as a low GI cereal what shoul I have it with?
Having low GI meals should I aslo have low fat meals?
I dont have a high cholestrol or such but both my parents have high blood pressure and high cholestrol so this is a risk?

Dear Jude
Anyone who suffers from insulin resistance (IR) should actually consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian needs to explain how a low GI diet works and what foods you can combine in a meal to lower the GI of the meal and of your daily food intake. From your questions it is evident that the dr did not explain any of these things to you. You would need to cut back on your sugar intake and rather use an artificial sweetener like aspartame in your tea. If you eat Pronutro then combine it with low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt to lower the GI. And yes you can combine a low GI diet with a low fat intake, but please see the dietitian because the correct diet is the most important part of the treatment for IR. If you use the correct low GI and low-fat diet then you will lose weight. If both your parents suffer from hypertension and cholesterol problems then you may have a genetic tendency to develop one or both of these conditions as you get older, so prevention is perhaps a good idea. In the meanwhile also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
But see a dietitian ASAP

3
Posted by: Jane | 2006/11/13

I was wondering if anyone can help me - I have read about the Antagolin and would really love to buy it and see if it works - As I am overweight due to insulin levels thats to high as well as PCOS. Can anyone help me - I'm situated in the Vaal Triangle - were can I get this Antagolin?

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Rosey | 2006/11/09

Dear DietDoc
I notice that Charms has recently purchsed Antagolin. I too would like to purchase this product and would therefore appreciate any assistance in this regard. My pharmasist is currently "closing shop" and a lack of facilities makes it difficult for me to find another right now. I was hoping on some sort of mail order facility.

Reply to Rosey
Posted by: Charms | 2006/11/06

There is a product on the market called AntaGolin, specially formulated for high insulin suffers (like myself). I bought it today and am starting tomorrow. I am 50 kgs overweight due to the insulin (diagnosed 5 yrs ago) and can say for sure that low GI is the way to go. If you want I can forward you a dietplan and some recipes that will give you an idea of how to make up your own plan that suits you best. I use the GI lean powdered sugar in my coffee as I am a coffee junkie but hate it bitter. I will keep you updated on my progress on these capsules. The testimonials on the site wwwdotmnilifestyledotcodotza was all positve from insulin resistance sufferers and they all say that for the first time did they find osmething that really works. I thought it was worth a try at least.

Reply to Charms