Question
Posted by: Chris | 2005/05/31

Insulin intolerant

What could i do to overcome this problem of being insulin intolerant? I am a body builder in training and have hit a big plateau for the last 10 months. I am unable to put on any mass nor can i lose fat. I decided to go to the doctors for a blood test and the results showed that my thyroxin and glucose levels are fine, but i am now insulin intolerant. This is possibly the result of bad decisions made while very inexperianced. Could you please advice me on what to do in this situation? Much appreciated.

Dear Chris
I am sorry to hear abut this problem - as you say, one often makes mistakes when one is younger. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels (?), into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'.
Holding thumbs that you will beat this problem