Question
Posted by: sleepy | 2007/04/20

Insomnia - where to seek assistance?

Hi Doc,

I have sufferred from insomnia for the last few years. I have some good phases where I sleep reasonably well, and then I have really bad phases. At the moment I am probbaly sleeping about 3 hours a day on average. I generally fall asleep without a problem, but then wake after a few hours and cannot get back to sleep. Occasionally I cannot fall asleep at all. This is obviously affecting my work during the day and I am often sick even though I load up on multi vitamins.

Why question is where do you suggest I go for assistance? There seem to be so many options in the medical industry from a GP, homepathic meds, psychologits, the Wits sleep clinic etc. I am just not sure where I should go, and don't have a fortune to spend investigating all routes.

I have read that this may be related to depression, and I must be honest that I may have a very mid case of this. I don't want to try St John's Wort though as I have a very fair sensitive skin.

Please advise?

Dear Sleepy
You can visit your GP - something like Tryptanol 25 mg at night may help you sleep better and also lift depression. Tryptanol works for about 12 hours , so take it early (18h00) in the evening - this is not a sleeping tablet but an anti-depressant with the side effect of making one feel sleepy. See also www.womenshealth.gov/faq/insomnia.htm ( not only for women)