Posted by: sleepy | 2007/04/20

Insomnia - where to seek assistance?

Hi Doc,

I have sufferred from insomnia for the last few years. I have some good phases where I sleep reasonably well, and then I have really bad phases. At the moment I am probbaly sleeping about 3 hours a day on average. I generally fall asleep without a problem, but then wake after a few hours and cannot get back to sleep. Occasionally I cannot fall asleep at all. This is obviously affecting my work during the day and I am often sick even though I load up on multi vitamins.

Why question is where do you suggest I go for assistance? There seem to be so many options in the medical industry from a GP, homepathic meds, psychologits, the Wits sleep clinic etc. I am just not sure where I should go, and don't have a fortune to spend investigating all routes.

I have read that this may be related to depression, and I must be honest that I may have a very mid case of this. I don't want to try St John's Wort though as I have a very fair sensitive skin.

Please advise?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Sleepy
You can visit your GP - something like Tryptanol 25 mg at night may help you sleep better and also lift depression. Tryptanol works for about 12 hours , so take it early (18h00) in the evening - this is not a sleeping tablet but an anti-depressant with the side effect of making one feel sleepy. See also ( not only for women)

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.