Question
Posted by: c.t | 2004/11/11

insilin resistance

I am curently using metformin 500mg 2 daily , I lost 10 kg on the atkins diet ,I would like to know if their is a better diet plan to keep on losing and control my insilin levels.

Dear CT
Because you have insulin resistance, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will work out a balanced diet that is low in fat and includes foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Diet is one of the most important factors in the treatment of insulin resistance, so it is essential that you obtain the correct diet for your condition, certainly not the Atkins Diet, which is loaded with fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat diet. Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) and click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' (which is similar to insulin resistance) to obtain more information.

4
Posted by: ct | 2004/11/12

Hi I didnt follow a spiciffic diet I bought a book called Atkins made easy and worked out my own diet.I basically snacked on biltong , that was also my lunch,I did cheat ocassionaly on weekends and I couldnt resist the odd glass off wine.It took about 1 month to lose the weight and I have been off of it for 2 months and I havent gained it back in my opinion it is a good way to get started but not a long term solution.I also snacked on jelly and vinilla ice cream .you are allowed 34 carbs a day so if you read food labels its kind of easy too make up your own diet.Hope it helped

Reply to ct
Posted by: ct | 2004/11/12

Reply to ct
Posted by: Smiley | 2004/11/12

Hi c.t

How fast did you lose the 10 kilos, i am also on atkins and maybe want to move to othre diet. On what type of things did you snack on duriing the day and did you follow the diet 100% or did you also sometimes cheat?

Reply to Smiley
Posted by: nollie | 2004/11/12

Could you please forward me the Adkins diet. I will really appreciate it.

Reply to nollie