Posted by: Carmen | 2009/03/11


Hi CS, quick one for you... do you think that having an overly domineering mother as a child could cause such hectic insecurity in one as they are now an adult. i am 34 years old, extremely insecure about everything, i worry about everything, am always anxious and quite frankly just dont " enjoy"  my life that much! My mother was very domineering and over-bearing to such an extend that us kids were scared of her. do you think this can cause such insecurity later on in life. i cant think where else it could come from???

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Possibly so. Or, rather than the domineering causing insecurity directly, i could prevent the normal formation of security. But yopu can't change history. The good news is that you CAN change, via Cogniive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, are the conclusions and habits of thought you formed based on those earlier experiences. Bu some folks end up ( until therapy solves it ) insecure even with gentle and loving moms.
Did you know's comment on homosexuality ( and it's wrong, by the way ) reminds me of the joke of the guy who said :" My mother made me a homosexual", to which a friend responded: "If I gave her enough wool, could she knit one for me, too ? "

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Really | 2009/03/11

Oh, Did you know...... they can cause kids to be gay???? WOW

Reply to Really
Posted by: Liza | 2009/03/11

Go and see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Feeling as insecure, worried and anxious might be something like Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Psychotherapy and perhaps medication could improve your life a lot. Just see a qualified psychiatrist for a proper assessment before you go onto medication. From personal experience I don' t really trust a GP to have the know-how to make a proper diagnosis unless he has done extra courses on psychiatry.

Good luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Did you know | 2009/03/11

A very domineering mother could cause her children to become gay

Reply to Did you know

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.