Posted by: worried | 2008/10/29

insect/spider byte vs joint inflammation

I was told by orthopedic surgeon that I am part of 7% of women that suffers from an inflammatory problem, where I get inflamation the moment repetitive action is put on muscle. I have had several carpal tunner and de Quervain releases - plantar fasiatis etc. keep this under controle with ibuprofen. No RA. 4 weeks ago Iwas Rx Cortisone and Avalon for Bronchitis (after 4 days no body aces - amen cortisone) -2 days into treatment I felt a my ear cartilage burning with touch (helix) saw a big purple bump on ear.
Hard to touch -squeezed - nothing - put needle in -painless. Swolen glands in nek. It stayed sensitive but looks better, but can still see purple bump. 1.5 weeks ago my joints started acking -some finger joints sensetive to touch -carpel tunnel flared up lower back and palvic injurys pain more than ever feet cramp when walking scalp acke in paches . Could it be that insect byte
looks ok due to medicine but left systemic effect?

Dear Worried
It sounds to me as you may have an auto-immune reaction causing inflammation in joints and soft tissues - have you had extensive blood tests for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other auto-immune diseases? I think you should see a rheumatologist if this hasn't been done. There are long term medications that can prevent the inflammation and damage that these flares cause.